The Viennese” is a transport and landing troops version of the AN-2 aircraft (popularly known as “Antek”), constructed in the office of Oleg Antonov in 1947. The aircraft with the tactical number 7447 (because of it) was produced in 1966 at the WSK PZL Mielec air factory, and then directed to serve on the Balice near Krakow, where as many of these types of work performed operational tasks for the army.
Its uniqueness is associated with a dramatic story that took place during martial law in Poland. One spring day in 1982, one of the crews performing training and operational flights on this plane decided to flee the country to Austria. After making a stopover in a meadow near Krakow and taking away the families of airmen, the plane made a low altitude flight in the difficult mountainous terrain of Czechoslovakia and Austria, happily landing at the Vienna airport.
After returning to Poland (April 13, 1981), our plane, henceforth called informally, and later officially the “Wiener”, continued to carry out missions for the army until its withdrawal from summer in summer 2012 and handed it over to the Polish Aviation Museum.
However, he is not allowed to rest, because two aviation enthusiasts having in mind the good technical condition of the plane and the need to promote Polish aviation decided to restore the “Viennese” to fly. In this way, the plane was under the joint patronage of the Polish Aviation Museum and created for the aircraft reactivation – Vienna Foundation.