In 1941, the US Department of Defense announced a competition for a light observation aircraft. After the initial qualification and tests, the Piper J-3 Cub airframe was selected from the twelve aircraft submitted. Militarized J-3C Cub, unchanged, went into serial production as O-59, and after enlarging the glazing of the rear cabin was produced under the designation O-59A. In 1942, in accordance with the new classification, the designation was changed to L-4 and henceforth the aircraft appeared under the name Piper L-4 Grasshopper (in subsequent variants from L-4A to L-4J).
The L-4 Grasshopper was a single-engine, two-seater, mixed-wing high wing aircraft. He began his war career in November 1942 in Operation Torch, landing for allied troops in North Africa.
At the end of the 1940s, Poland bought 141 Pipers, of which 127 were registered. They were mainly used in aeroclubs for training
and pilot training, some were used as disposable machines, a dozen or so planes were rebuilt into a sanitary and agricultural version. Until the mid-fifties, the majority of “Kubusiów”, as they were jokingly called, were deleted under the pretext of equipment standardization.
L-4A will arrive with us, serial number 43-29233, in 1943-1945 he served in the 9th Air Force in Africa and Italy. Purchased by Poland as part of the demobilization was subsequently registered as SP-AFP. This aircraft was initially used as a dispatch machine of Lotnicze Zakłady Doświadczalnych in Łódź. Later, the plane flew in regional aeroclubs. The Museum’s collection was handed over in 1976 by the last user – the Workers Aero Club in Świdnik. The Museum was restored to the standard in which it was made in 1943.